The fact that water supplying in Belgrade exists almost two millennia is not well-known. It was built in the first half of the 1st century of the New Era by the Romans. The water source was situated in Mali Mokri Lug, below the present water tank Stojčino brdo. The route was parallel to the Kralja Aleksandra Boulevard (to the Cvetkova market) and Vojislava Ilića nad Mileševska street, and further towards Pionirski park to the downtown. One part of it was in use until 1870s.
Many conquerors came and went through Belgrade, people migrated very often, and all had need to have healthy and drinking water. They all built and modified the existing facilities for water supplying.
The Turkish Empire, in its full power, in the first half of 18th century, built its Bulbuder system, made of clay pipes, almost half of the length of the Roman system. The Austrian army, during occupation of Belgrade, also left its mark by constructing Varoški system, between 1724 and 1737. All three systems, during one reconstruction in the Turkish era, were merged into one unique system and introduced into common separation water tank. The place where the tank was situated is today called Terazije (separation water tank in Turkish language).
Modern Belgrade Waterworks was founded in 1892, and for the first time groundwater was used for water supplying and modern equipment were used for water pumping and distribution to the water tanks and consumers. St Peter’s day, July 12th 1892, was a big holiday for all inhabitants of Belgrade. Near today Terazije drinking fountain, modern water supplying system was put in operation, and the opening ceremony was attended by all respectable men of the time and large number of citizens. On that day, Belgrade became a modern European city.
Construction of first facilities of the Belgrade sewerage system started at the beginning of 20th century, designed by Dušan Ninković. Belgrade municipality started the construction of modern sewerage system, as it was in Europe, with network around main collector towards the Sava slope. During 1905, in four city streets (today Kraljevića Marka, Hercegovačka, and some parts of Đure Đakovića and Dušanova), system of street channels were dug for sanitary waste waters. So called Terazije tunnel was constructed in 1912 in order to deliver the waste waters from the Sava catchment area to the Danube catchment area.
The period between two World Wars was marked with intensive construction. The first two sewerage pumping stations were completed, in lower Zemun in 1935 and Staro Sajmište in 1937. After the World War II, general scheme of Belgrade sewerage system until 2000 was completed. Construction of almost all important facilities of the system (collectors: Banjca, Topčider, Mirijevo, Mokroluški; interceptor; pumping stations: Dorćol, Gazela, Galovica, Mostar, Railway station), started before 1983, were completed and put into operation.